View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:15 PM   #105
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
So the lady had my file and my keys in her hand. She was behind a metal screen door and told me if I wanted to get anything from my bike it would be $97 to open the yard. So I told her I just wanted my keys I'll let insurance get the bike, she said its still $97 to get my keys, which were in her hand, 2 feet away from me. Tell me that's not ****ed up.

Anyway, its too late now I'm just going to go get the tomorrow.

I'm wondering if I should rent a uhaul and pick the bike up too. Or does insurance pay for all the storage fees an everything. Is all I have to pay my deductible? Even for getting the bike out?
To be fair, in all likelihood the woman just works there, she doesn't make decisions. The rules she has to follow are that no one gets stuff without paying a gate fee on the weekend. She doesn't get to make decisions regarding that stuff, and the owner, who may or may not have been generous, isn't there to make the decision.

I'm assuming you have full coverage insurance, if so then yes, they will pay everything. Some insurance companies will ask you to pay the fees and pick the vehicle up, this is illegal. If the bike is totaled, then what should happen is that you go pick up your stuff, (during the week, during business hours there should be no charge for this, it is basically built into all the other charges, such as the storage charges) and then you sign the bike over to the insurance company in exchange for the money. At that point they should be picking up the bike, paying the fees, and selling it for whatever they can get out of it.

If they are going to fix it, then usually the body shop will send a tow truck with a check for everything, or have the tow yard deliver the bike to the body shop and cut them a check on the spot. The insurance will reimburse for that.

Some insurance companies will also try to give you issues about towing coverage limits, this is BS as well. You don't need to have towing coverage, towing coverage is for breakdown towing, this type of towing is covered under the collision portion of the policy. Actually, part of it can be covered under liability, but usually they just group it all under the collision.

Every now and then, if they don't think the bike is worth anything, they will pay the towing company for everything up through the current date, and tell you to deal with it from there. Depending on what you want to do, you can sometimes sign the bike over to the towing company, since you already got your money, or you can pick it up (fees are already covered, as long as you get it that day) and try to part it out yourself. Given your description, that's highly unlikely for your situation. It's also more common if it was being covered under the policy of someone that hit you, instead of your own policy in an at fault incident.

TLDR:

yes, if you have full coverage insurance, just let the insurance deal with it, as long as you can get your stuff on Monday for free don't worry about it. Just make sure you inform the insurance about it and where it is right away.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote