View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2021, 10:33 AM   #12
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

Thanks Jim!

The syringe method doesn't seem to be very good. After looking at this diagram from RaceTech
https://www.racetech.com/page/title/...%20They%20Work
you can tell that there is a significant space below the rod that cannot be reached with the syringe, so I pulled out the forks.

Damn! A drain plug in the bottom seems like a great idea. Why don't they do it?
I had to remove the clip ons, the caliper, the wheel, the fender and a 6 bolts bracket that squares the forks and holds the fender.

I had been able to pull out 500ml of oil per fork with the syringe. Then I pulled out about 60ml more from each fork by turning the forks upside down. Around 10%, so not sure if it's worth. In this case, the oil was from 2013, 8 years old, so I wanted to pull out as much as possible.

After re installing the forks, wheels, fender, and bracket I realized I had the wires and cables of the right side clip-on on the wrong side of the fork tube, so I had to take it all apart again. What a j#rk! Pay more attention next time.

I brought down the front end 8mm. Pretty much all I could bring it down without having the fairing touching the fender if the forks bottom out. Anyways, at 150 lbs and with stiffer springs, I doubt I will be bottoming out the forks.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote