View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #107
crackez
ninjette.org member

Name: Kostas

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R (2009 European Model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
I can tell you now, it wasn't from the service you received that broke the bike. The motor can handle a lot, that's well know. However, an engine is not going to last long constantly wide open and pegged all the time. Normal cruising rpm for the bike is around 7-9k rpm. You have 6 gears, I suggest you try using them all, that's what they are there for. Shifting should be before 12k and you should NOT be cruising along at 11-12k for long periods of time. Doing that style of riding is what killed your motor, not anything the service department did.

As for your scooter being wide open all the time with no problem as you said. Well most small motors in scooters tend to have a mechanical limiter on them keeping them at a safe maximum rev limit. The ninjette is not built that way and can not be run that way.

I meant I'm hitting 11-12k most of the time at 6th gear ..so its the final one. I was thinking of changing sprocket so at full throttle it would have 9-10k and not 11-12k.

wayanlam ..they didn't explained it exactly, the reaction was oh.. thats a first, I've never heard or see a ninja 250r broken but we've found out that the crankshaft was broken(probably the connecting rod, he didn't explain in details and I didn't ask ..I was pissed of for some time :P). Now of course I'm avoiding to reach 12k or if I reach that I don't stay for more than a few seconds, I strictly doing oil/filter changes myself and don't trust anyone. My moped(Honda astrea supra) was tunned and even if it was tunned from 50mm piston to 53.5mm I was always full throttle at any speed(4 gears).. but the piston was 350 Euros(japan made, takekawa).

P.S. Anyway I could create a post and say lot but I really like to see a tuned small ninja. Oh something last before saying more irrelevant things, when my ninja broke I was going at about 160km/h(thats ~100mph). A big white smoke came to my face and oils dropped to the road making me drive like nuts(imagine oil in the back tyre), thankfuly due to experience and VERY GOOD luck..I was able to hold it and after a few meters I stopped, later I saw a small hole in the engine head, a small metal hole. When they came to pick me up, one guy from the service told me that its a usual kawasaki thing to broke like this.. he had a 1000cc ninja that did him the same thing. I'm very happy I don't have a 1000cc engine because if I had the same problem and I was going over 150mph(240km/h) I would be probably in the hospital even if its been more than a year since the incident.
crackez is offline   Reply With Quote