View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #185
Tay
ninjette.org member

Name: Tay

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

UPDATE:

The cluster itself wasn't the best fit, I have to say it was a pretty good overall job but there were some things that were needed to be modified to fit.

Had to wait for my digital volt meter to arrive from elsewhere as the KOSO ones that waylan supplies was out of stock. Just a note, the standard KOSO digital volt meter is 48mm in diameter, I ordered a 52mm since the information given to me was incorrect so with some more modifications, I bored out the gauge whole on the cluster to 52mm.

Also purchased a cheap universal gear indicator from ebay and connected it up, everything is all wired up, just need to play with the sensor position to find the sweet spot.

Here is the finishing product,

The digital volt meter can be changed from RED or BLUE to suit my mood, there is no switch to change the colour just an extra wire you need to connect a 12v into.
Also in the pic is the clock I bought for the bike a while ago to tell the time, this one is EL backlit when you press the button. The clock housing fits over the centre bolt and you just plug the clock in, and remove it when you park it in public just incase someone decides to remove it.

A closer look at the dash and gear indicator display.
Now, the gear display is hard to work with because the wires come out from the bottom right of the unit, which makes it hard to find a place for it. I made a L shape bracket with double sided tape to mount the unit to the bracket and onto the plastic shroud just under the cluster and bend the bracket to get a nice angle. Since I'm not that tall, it's hard to see the indicator while riding upright, but if you just lean forward a little you can see the number.
As mentioned above, everything is wired up, just need to move the gear UP sensor around to get it to register the magnet. It work sometimes.

With the gear indicator you have to connect one of the wires to neutral switch, this is to reset the number to "0", even thought I havn't got mine working just right I have a concern.
Lets say your in first gear, the indicator will show "1" now when you gear UP into 2nd gear, the unit registers that you've gone past neutral into 2nd gear and the indicator will go back to "0". Not sure if this is because the Koso Rx2 unti itself because before I got the gear indicator, while riding, when I change from 1st to 2nd, I can see "N" on the dash quickly turn on and off again. Something I have to investigate when I have time, but overall, very nice dash.

UPDATE:
Fine tuned the gear indicator sensors, working 99% of the time. My concerns above is not an issue, the unit knows what to do, changing from 1st to 2nd is not an issue.

Last futzed with by Tay; May 12th, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote