View Single Post
Old March 1st, 2020, 09:23 PM   #1
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
BEWARE global economy!!!

Well, I should know better as I had custom automotive ECUs designed in NZ and manufactured in China over 20-yrs ago. I saw close 100 areas where I could've skimped on specifications and made more profit, but chose not to. It's temptation that cannot be resisted by many U.S. importers and businesses.

Case in point, on left is gas-cap I got from U.S. company in black 3-yrs ago for $60.50 (after taxes and shipping). Figured I'd support U.S. business and supposedly get good quality. Well, little less than 3-yrs later, anodizing has faded due to low-quality anodizing process (not sealed with water at end). All it would take was little tick on checkbox at end of specs sheet that says "☑ seal anodizing". It would've costed an extra $0.73 and would've resulted in much higher quality experience for consumer with finish that would last +50-yrs.

So not wanting to fall into that trap again, I searched for replacement when I noticed colour fading after 2nd-year. I found exact same item in black on eBay from China with free-shipping for $11.99 (pre-tariff). It's exact item down to design-flaw with gasket-seat being cut too deep and not sealing with tank (2 gaskets must be used).

I don't mind U.S. companies making money and I don't mind sending them my money. But they must emphasize some benefit to me over what I can get directly from their own suppliers in China! The U.S. importer has 100% control over specifications and quality, but choose to let their greed take precedence. I wouldn't even mind them specifying bottom-quality if they don't rape me on pricing. Simple keystone markup to $15-16 I can live with. But going 400% up to $49.99, nope, I'm not falling for that again!

BTW - this is HUGE and prevalent issue in auto-parts industry. NAPA, AutoZone, O'reilly and other FLAPS all gravitate towards lowest common denominator and search for lowest-priced and lowest-quality parts in order to maximize-profit. Many parts, especially electronics like ignition-coils & distributors, wheel-bearings are bad right out of box!!! You'll have better luck going to breaker-yard and pulling OEM parts off wrecked car than buying new parts from FLAPS!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote