View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2024, 10:14 AM   #1
wacho678
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

First time bike maintenance

Hey all.
I picked up a 2006 ninja 250 last fall for 1500$. First bike, the previous owner seemed like a good caretaker. I started noticing a few issues at the end of the season and then stored the bike for the winter. My main issues are as follows:

Fluctuating idle, it would rise/fall by abt 300rpm give or take once it got warm.
Knocking when I let out the clutch in neutral
Very laggy throttle, when I let off it drops rpms very very slowly

I also have to get new tires and probably adjust my chain as well.

Anyway, I wanted to tackle basic stuff first and decided to tackle the carbs. I got them off, opened, cleaned and attempted to bench sync(Thank you ghostt). I noticed my pilot jets were slightly messed up, not quite stripped but a little bit damaged. I also found that one of the diaphragms was ripped so that it wouldn't seal and the slide was not opening properly.

As it stands my bike is sitting in pieces and I'm waiting for new diaphragm to come in. Does anyone have any advice on how to move forward, particularly with the idle issues(whether it is a carb sync, new parts, or valve adjustment) and the laggy throttle. I read that the knocking in neutral is normal/ hopefully a nonissue. I wish I had a video of how it runs for more context I can dig thru and see If I can find one.

Sorry for the wall of text, thanks in advance.
wacho678 is offline   Reply With Quote