View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2015, 01:12 PM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'm old enough to remember when people griped about wearing seatbelts because they were inconvenient.

Now, nobody gives them a second thought.

What changed? Not the belts. It was our attitude. It was a whole generation growing up with their parents telling them to buckle up. We just don't think about it anymore.

I wear full leather gear, boots, gauntlets, the works... every commute. It takes all of what, two or three minutes to head to the bathroom to change? Gimme a break. I spend more time than that in the office kitchen making coffee.

Convenience is a silly excuse for increasing risk. Just make time to do it right.

Hey, it's inconvenient to put on a condom, right? But does convenience trump safety, or does it get done without question?

"Poser?" That says one thing above all else: That it's more important to look good. Which is a flat-out stupid attitude.

I will admit to not changing my pants when heading 1 mile down the road to the diner for lunch -- a trip on which I never get above 30 mph. That's the only concession to convenience that I make.

Everyone has their own comfort level. Here's my proven formula:

- Jeans/pants kept at work. Change 'em out every few days for a fresh pair.
- Shoes kept at work.
- Shirt comes with me either worn or (if really hot out) in a backpack.

Gear up in the morning. Ride in. Grab clothes, shoes and coffee cup when I get to my office. Head to kitchen, put cup in coffee machine, go to bathroom.
Remove riding pants/boots and put on jeans and shoes. Come out and the coffee has just finished brewing. Back to the office.

Done. Five minutes, absolute tops.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.