View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #23
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Rwar! I will do this (one day). Hehehe

So on Saturday, April 19, I set off again on the Team Lyle route (cause...reasons) beginning at 5:15am. Reversed the route to follow the path I plan on taking next month.

I was reinstalled the 42t rear sprocket and got my hand mitts on, but otherwise the bike is the same as she's been for awhile.

What worked: My stops are now far more efficient, enough so where I can check in, eat something, get some water, and clean my visor, all in the time I use to just fill up. Multitasking for the win! I successfully made the longest leg of 175 miles on one tank and did not have to use my spare gas at all! Jacket and socks kept my core and feet warm, the handlebar risers and adjusted footpegs kept my arms and knees happy. Pretty much set on the bike -ish.

What didn't work: the 42t sprocket, great for long flat roads in perfect conditions, but in hilly states with a massive headwind, I was in 3rd going up hills and 4th on the straights just to keep my speed up. The loss of power was greater than the low revs benefit I theorically gained. Ditching that. And once again, as soon as the middle of the night rolled around I just got too cold to continue. April no bueno for this wolf.

1197 miles in 19 hours, ride called off and stayed in Ely.
1510 miles weekend total in 34.5 hours, hey got a BunBurner anyway.

Cheers:
First 1000 miles was done in 15 hours, 41 minutes, that's a personal best! I also stayed in the saddle 2.5-3 hours with no fatigue or soreness between each gas stop. Go me and my bad self!

Jeers:
NDOT. WTF is up with no signed paved rest area with a bathroom?!? Or just signs in general, how far away is Ely from Pioche? No idea, there were NO signs! Grrr, seriously, just a paved spot to pull over safely would be nice with a sign telling me it's coming up vs seeing it just as I pass it at 70 mph.

Anyway....

Time to buy some hot hands, wonder if they make a heat suit?
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote