View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #110
bob138
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 1991 EX500 , 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowspeed Lowside View Post
And here I thought a crank-sensor was just a different word for a kook-sensor.

How many metal tabs are there? As soon as we have several metal tabs, we can get extremely accurate relative readings.

How can we figure out the absolute position? One missing tab would be sufficient, but there probably are other, better ways.

But don't go out and spend any money yet, unless you want to help with bleeding edge R&D. There are going to be a lot of unnecessary expenses trying to get the prototype working. For example, I have no clue what other stuff I should have ordered from sparkfun to actually be able to do something useful. I frequently suffer from nervous checkout-button-click-finger-syndrome.

I think Racer X is right. If there is a crank sensor built in, it'd be really stupid to not use it.
I meant I was in on the positive attitude I'm broke as a joke.

So as for the crank sensor, that's a good point. That is what talks to the CDI box for firing plugs so it could be intercepted.

The only concern I have is that the flywheel might not have enough sensors to accurately gauge engine speed which could throw timing off, where as the cams actuate the intakes and therefore can be always trusted.

I may be completely wrong on this. My only experience with flywheels in person is 1st and 2nd gen ex500 flywheels. 1st gen ex500 only has one pickup and it maintains spark fine but it is also a wasted spark system I believe, where both plugs fire when 1 piston is at top. While this is fine for the plugs, it could be an issue with fuel delivery.

We are still talking about fule injection stuff right?

Sorry, kinda distracted, Bruins Tampa game

Bob

My 09 250R Build
bob138 is offline   Reply With Quote