View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2018, 01:50 PM   #32
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Around here at least, group isn't based on lap times, it's based on skill. Those newbs on literbikes should be in novice group.

If you're skilled, you can ride a 300 in a higher group and not have that problem.

A very fast rider (former owner of my track bike) was talking to me about this once. There's a lovely young woman who rides with our track day org. He said "She's not fast, but she's totally consistent, which is why we're happy to have her in the fast group. That's what it takes... it's not about speed."
I agree newbs on literbikes should be in novice. But I severely disagree that smooth riders should be bumped up. Being smooth and predictable shouldn't mean you get a free pass to run up one class. A common mistake CR's make is when they bump up someone on a fast bike who is smooth but kinda slow. That's actually part of the problem. That person should not be bumped up because it's just going to piss people off. It is about speed (mostly apex speed) and your very fast buddy was wrong about the lady.

Next related subject. When I make complaints like this, there's always a contingent of posters who act like "Well well, look at mister super duper fast, who doesn't like all the many many slow people at the racetrack." It's not like that at all, it's just track day frustrations. And these frustrations aren't from a lack of skill, where a CR/coach can jump in and save the day. It's just the way most track days are organized and run.

Most of my frustration went away when I started racing, where riders on similar bikes can let skill sort out the pecking order, no CR's needed. 2016 was the last year I raced before I had to retire due to medical issues, but man I had more fun than my first 4 years of track days combined. You also have to like where a bump from amateur to expert happens based on merit derived from statistics, rather than one CR's opinion which is not always always the best.

Getting kinda off topic here, sorry. To the original poster: Don't worry about what group you're in and just focus on having fun.