Old October 13th, 2018, 08:29 PM   #4
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilli_micha View Post
Greg,

I think you are right. After I posted this I did some research, the sound from my end definitely sounds like a chain moving around so my research lead to the CCT causing a bit of a fuss, evidently it's a super common issue with these bikes. So I lead

I popped off my CCT, cleaned it, lubed it up real nice (with engine oil), and reinstalled as per procedure and the sound has disappeared. Fortunately the CCT looked to be in good shape, no burring or scoring, just the oil that was on it looked a bit old and gummy, which is strange the oil in the engine is only a couple of months old.

Oh well, I know now that this is something to keep a constant eye on.

Thanks for the reply!
Good job. Yes, when the CCT goes for a long time (like years and years and years) without any maintenance it does get gummy/sticky. It gets this way because it hangs from up at the top of the crankcase which means it doesn't get regularly bathed in engine oil. So when it gets really good and sticky the normal backlash that the Cam Chain experiences on RPM deceleration it will "pack" the tensioner pushrod/plunger backwards up into the CCT body and there it will stay (until you come along and service it).

I use Lucas Engine Assembly Lube when I refurbish the CCT on my '05 EX250.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote