adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
The deal is very good, but I don't dare to buy without trying it.
Did you buy it without trying it?

I saw some helmets indicate the head shape as intermediate oval, and other shapes. Have you checked that? Is that for real, or just another marketing BS?
My track helmet is a Shoei X-12 so I know I have a Shoei-shaped head.

Every year I go to the International Motorcycle Show in NY and try on various helmets specifically so I'll know what fits me and what doesn't. Bell helmets just don't work for me. Same with Arai. I'm on the fence about AGV. Shoei fits perfectly, so I'm a Shoei guy.

But I do the trial every year anyway, because new models might be a bit different.

Re the head shape thing... yeah it's real but there is of course variability. Also, you don't really know what shape your head is for sure until you try something on.

Helmet fit is very personal and if your helmet fits as it should (snug... see if you can find the Arai fit video) then the small details matter a lot. The best way is to try one on.

Fit is hands-down THE most important factor in choosing a helmet. Every time I see a "Which helmet is best?" thread I facepalm for this reason. The perfect helmet for me is useless for you if it doesn't fit right. Reputable brand, correct fit, end of discussion. That's all you need to worry about.

Buying online is a low-risk thing. All the major retailers have good return policies and all it'll cost you for a mistake is the return shipping... which is likely less that the cost of gas to go hunt down the perfect helmet locally.

Having said that, grab every opportunity you can to try on different helmets.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.