View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2018, 12:05 PM   #9
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluberryrain View Post
How is it? I really wanted to buy the newest gen VFR, but the Honda dealership didn't have any to test ride and wanted me to our a deposit down to order one. I'm not gonna buy a bike without riding it, regardless of the reviews. So, if went with a ducati instead. Plus, the douche salesman made fun of me for riding a 250 ninja and asked me if I was "ready for a big boy bike".
A lot of people really like it, but I found I really had to get used to it. The ergos are WAY too sporty for my tastes, and my back problems. I was uncomfortable immediately, but I figured I had to get used to it, and catch-up with my physical therapy. I bought it anyway because, well I just did. The power was very addictive and the 8th gen dash is one of the prettiest there is. So I bought it with plans of making adjustments to the ergos, but wasn't sure if I'd keep it past 6 months if I couldn't get used to it.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from a CBR500r, which is VERY, VERY relaxed, much like the Ninja 650, 1000. With my Corbin seat it was PERFECT (less engine and suspension).

Since I bought the VFR I am doing much better, but am still working things out. First thing was to adjust the seat. There are 2 positions for the front of the seat, and 2 for the rear, for a total of 4 positions. Since I was leaned over too far I put is all the way down, even though my knees want more room (which isn't too bad if coming from a Ninjette, but I was used to my CBR500r). The only aftermarket fix I've been able to get to thus far was to get the largest blocks motopumps makes to raise the handlebars (1.25"). That helped, but not perfect. Honestly the cables couldn't give anymore anyway.

When I get some more cash I'll add Knight Design foot-pegs, which will drop them 1 3/8". It won't be as much room as on my 500, but still a significant difference. I'm pretty used to the pegs now, so it's really only longer rides this will benefit.

I usually put Corbins on my bikes, and unfortunately they didn't make a single seat for the 8th gen, only the long banana style, so I'm not even thinking about that now. The Honda seats aren't terrible though.

This bike is heavy, and the turning radius isn't as good, but it is a different beast. The weight isn't an issue when moving, and I'm very comfortable in traffic (including splitting). I do get my wife to spot me if I'm rolling it up or down from the lift. Don't want any accidents like I did when my 500 was new. Parking lots take a lot of care. The 250 could be pushed around like nothing, and the 500 could be maneuvered with ease. The VFR takes a LOT of getting used to at slow speed. The hydraulic clutch is a lot heavier, and takes some mastery to skillfully and confidently do tight U-turns. Also, until the bars were raised, my forearms would hit the tank, also making U-turns difficult. I still have to make a slight adjustment to my position, but it is better.

I can go on, but I think I got a lot of my initial impressions and early solutions down here. I'm liking it, so don't read this like I'm disappointed in the purchase, it just isn't as easy as I had hoped. I'm happy to answer other questions, but have to get back to work for now.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote