View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #32
pop0tart
ninjette.org member

Name: Dash

Motorcycle(s): stolen :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCromwell View Post
The MSF class also taught me to use the kill switch to turn the engine off. But, I noticed the other day while leafing through the owner's manual that there is a note... "Although the engine stop switch stops the engine, it does not turn off all the electrical circuits. Ordinarily, the ignition switch should be used to stop the engine."

It was the "ordinarily, the ignition switch..." statement that I thought to be odd. My guess is that Kawasaki was trying to get the point across that the battery is still being used when the key is in the "ON" position, so don't rely on the "engine stop switch" to turn the bike off.

Later in the manual, in the "Stopping the Engine" section, it gives these steps:
- Close the throttle completely.
- Shift the transmission into neutral.
- Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
- Support the motorcycle on a firm, level surface with the side stand.
- Lock the steering.

Notice no mention of using the "engine stop switch". Hmm... maybe we need a poll on this?
Yep. I always used kill switch as per MSF on my first 2 bikes, then read the owners manual and decided to only use the key on the 250. Who the hell knows the logic behind that one or if one is better than the other. I would be inclined to agree that they are just trying to prevent dead batteries for when people use the kill switch and forget to turn off the key.
pop0tart is offline   Reply With Quote