View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2015, 03:37 AM   #22
OX-34
IBA#486

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 300, FJR1300, Super Tenere, Blackbird, TMax scoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
To each his own, OX. Glad you enjoyed your ride.

Great ride report but to be honest; I cried to read you only B-lined a highway there & back! For me; motorcycles are about cornering and the finest motorcycling I've experienced in 43 years of riding (on the street) occurred on those incredibly twisty, beautifully paved roads between your route & the coast! That Southeast corner of the continent is spectacular!!! It was this time of year as well; before schools are let out and the caravans are still parked in their driveways so the roads are empty and the police are still driving their desks! For me it wasn't Roo's that were an issue, the wallabies at dusk are just plain stupid and with their chocolate brown coats and a penchant to hang out in the middle of corners motionless in the dark; it made for more than a few pucker moments!

I hope you get the opportunity, if you haven't already, to explore those secondary roads someday! That area is one of the few that are listed twice on my bucket list!

Cheers and enjoy the ride!
Too funny SLOWn60. Maybe I present like a new rider requiring your guidance.....

No need to cry. Perhaps I didn't make it clear that I was aiming to ride 1500miles in a day. Your suggestion for this ride to be conducted in the twisties is not a good one. With a requirement to average 104km/h for the whole day (including fuel stop time) and the choice roads that you mention - and that I have ridden many times before and even since this ride - are not appropriate because the speed limit is too low.

As far as I am aware, the smallest capacity bike to complete a BBG in Australia prior to this ride was my 1137cc Blackbird a couple of years ago. My goal to ride it on the Ninja 300 was successful.

Latte riders seem to struggle with the concept of Iron Butt rides, so your post is understandable.

Here's some of the places I've ridden Iron Butt rides (minimum 1000miles in a day, up to 1650miles in a day):

As for the kangaroos, I have a couple of mates who hit the furry macropods within that same week. Myself, I've hit 5 on a bike. Cut one of your little brown wallabies clean in half on my Hayabusa just 3 weeks after hitting a wallaroo on my K1200R that put the bike off the road for 5 months. We take kangaroo numbers into account when planning rides in this part of the world.
OX-34 is offline   Reply With Quote