View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2021, 06:11 PM   #200
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL yah friday at 4:28pm.... the guy just wanted to punch out man !
all in all I got it working real good now... I trimmed down the adjuster rod to fit the outside of the hole and it went in about 1/4" and stopped I thought WTF !?
and started looking at it real close and the hole was a nice taper to the other end... so i fixed that with a size under a half inch drill bit and made it non tapered anymore ! LOL.... and that totally cured the problem it seams the specks on the old parts were alot looser back in those days as that is an original part ! LOL.....
.... I got to thinking about that, and the only way it would have worked originally was the adjustment rod was put into the holding bracket first and the master cylinder put on next.... that way the rod was captured.
it's totally unnecessary that it be captured because it cannot possibly escape
once its all assembled... but that probably why they did it that way....

so I assembled the unit one last time and put blue locktight on the master cylinder so it won't move ( the threads in the holder are chewed up fairly bad but it does seem do be on there real good ! )
I got the reservoir on there and noticed that the cap says use dot 3 brake fluid only...on it but I am not going to listen to that ...I am going to put in dot 5 as I am not going to do anything to the brakes for as long as I can get away with it ! ... I've flushed the 2 lines very good with carb cleaner and then wd-40 ...there should not be any residue of the old Dot 3 fluid left in there....... the calipers...that is another story... I just shot wd-40 in there and dumped all that out that I could get out and am calling that good enough
.... I'll be lucky if that rear caliper actually works if you want the truth !
as messed up as the master cylinder and reservoir were, it's really hard to say what the caliper looks like inside. ... it's bleed it and see, and if it works I got lucky... if it don't, I'll probably just replace the entire thing.
I used my new digital calipers on cutting the adjustment rod down and boy those are nice calipers !
but anyway I got the master cylinder ready to go back in for the rear brake now... and have the Reservoir for it on there as well. so I made some progress today...not much but some !
tomorrow I gott'a take the wife to go see her folks down in Redding
which is about 75 miles one way... I am not looking forward to that at all I'd rather be working on the bike ! LOL
Later !
Bob......