View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2018, 07:46 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If you will be running a lot of Interstate and through urban areas I would say you would be better with the 650.

I just completed 1300 mi in 2 days on my SV650n, with the majority of it on Interstate and occasionally through urban areas. We averaged a little over 50 mph with gas stops (naked SV didn't do that well at those speeds, so we had to stop often), running a solid 12 hours on the way back - the last hour and a half in the rain at dusk with fairly heavy traffic and construction. Also about 45F. Not fun.

With a speed limit of 70, the majority of the traffic, especially in populated areas, is running 80 or more. You want to be able to run with traffic flow, and at times even faster if needed (temporarily) to get into a better/safer area. The thing that beats you up the most is the violent wake turbulence when passing trucks in windy conditions. A larger bike with some wind protection may help. The turbulence tosses your helmet and jacket side to side rapidly, as well as moving the cycle around. A larger bike is going to be less affected, and you would appreciate that at the end of the day.

I wouldn't have wanted anything with less power at times, and you do notice the extra weight and drag of luggage.

It can be done on a 250, a guy ran from Florida to the Arctic Circle and back on a CBR250R, but depending on your route and time-frame I feel the larger cycle would be beneficial.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote