View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Another GPS mount solution - "Erector-RAM"

I promised in another tech thread I was working on something.... and here it is (not sure if this is a FARKLE or Tech).

I wanted to be able to mount my GPS (Garmin Nuvi 265W) behind the windshield, without obstructing my view of the gauges, and without the need to shift my field of vision too much or need to refocus so close, like on the handlebars. I liked the idea of the RAM mounts' abilities to be modular and thought I would use it like an erector set, hence the name I gave it . I may still fabricate a mount similar to the one in this thread http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15442
but am testing my "Erector-RAM" currently.

Here are the RAM parts I used (purchased from CycleGadgets.com).
1 ea. Nuvi 200W-series Cradle ($9.50)
1 ea. Compact Base / Cradle Ball Adapter ($6.00)
2 ea. 1-3/4" Black RAM Arm ($11.00)
1 ea. RAM-BARBELL ($15.00)
1 ea. 9mm mounting hole w/ offset angle ball ($18.50)
Total = $71.00 plus shipping. (A little more than I planned to spend.... especially since I did it over two shipments)

This is an image of the power source I wired in (from GPSgeek.com for $27.27 after shipping).

I then purchased a spare Battery Tender Harness from Amazon.com ($12.14 after shipping). I cut the harness in the middle and decided to use the quick-connect end to plug into my existing harness. I did this instead of wiring directly to the battery because I won't use it for my everyday commutes, and don't want yet another harness connected directly to the battery (it is getting like a bowl of spaghetti in there).

All I have to do to connect it is reach bellow the left side cover and connect the two ends for power (shown with cover removed).

Here is where I zip-tied in the transformer (I will likely relocate it and clean it up a bit the next time my bike gets naked).

Here the Erector-RAM is installed, without the GPS unit installed (sorry pic is so grainy).

And a side view.

I am taking advantage of the extra space my ZG DB gives me, but suspect that anything less may be too tight, like stock windshield or possibly even the Puig may be difficult without positioning it out more - it might possibly block the view of the gauges.

I just drove it to work, and it vibrated a little more than I would have hoped for, but I'll check the tension on it before I head for home. I suspect it comes from the length and number of joints I put in it.

Last futzed with by headshrink; May 18th, 2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote