Old September 24th, 2018, 11:02 AM   #25
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I second this.

My first bike was a 1983 Suzuki GS650GL exactly like this one, down to the color:

This was from an unfortunate era in the early 80s during which the Japanese, in an effort to win American market share, took otherwise excellent Universal Japanese Motorcycles, put high handlebars and stepped seats on them, and tried to pass them off as cruisers.

It was not comfortable, especially over long distances. It was not maneuverable. I bought it in March and rode it in cold weather... and my lasting memory of that time was how freakin' cold my knees got. Neck too, but you're talking about putting a honkin' huge windshield on the thing.

You may have read some posts of mine about seating ergonomics and how I find sportbike ergos surprisingly comfortable. The trick is to perch, get the weight off your butt and carry it on your thighs. I've described how you can simulate the position by sitting in a hard chair, perched near the front edge with your feet underneath you.

By random chance, this article appeared in my news feed this morning, and it describes EXACTLY that.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...hat-you-can-do

Sitting like this is pretty much impossible on a cruiser. Your spine is in a C shape, all your weight is on your a$$ and overall it's about the worst seating position possible from an ergonomic standpoint.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.