View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2018, 04:51 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The flappy elbows thing is just to remind you to relax overall. If you feel any tension, anywhere, you're doing it wrong.

A lot of this game is in your head. It's about having confidence in the bike and your ability to place it where you want it to be. You're slowing way down because you lack that confidence. You're also tensing up in your shoulders because you lack that confidence.

It's a safe bet that now you've got it in your head that turning right is harder, it'll continue to be harder until you're able to get past that. And it's all in your mind... the bike doesn't behave any differently turning one way vs. the other.

It'll get better with time, don't worry.

There's this one little corner near me that I once took fast enough to give me a jolt of adrenaline... felt like I was going to run off and I puckered right up. Every time I go through there I remember that ride. Now I do it a whole lot faster and just laugh. If I were a squid I could probably double my speed through there relative to that day.

Next time you go for a ride, as you go through corners think about your hands. How tight are you, really? Be mindful of this and really focus on what's actually going on vs. your overall beliefs. I ask this because if you're tight on the bars, you're applying an unnecessary input to the bike. You're fighting it. If you're fighting the bike, well, sure it's not going to want to turn.

My bike is smarter than I am. Once I give it the correct initial input, it will happily track through the corner all by itself. Anything I do after that just upsets things.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote