View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2019, 08:02 AM   #1
Tylerscott86
ninjette.org member

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250

The infamous gray wire...

So let me start by saying hey to everyone. This is my first post but have been lingering for a while. I purchased a 1999 ninja 250 some time ago and have reached my limit with this thing. ha. I have searched and read and everything in between trying to track a no spark issue. I have tested every connection and switch and sensor with a voltmeter. I think I have narrowed down the issue to the ignition switch and this resistor that's inline. The previous owner lost the key and installed an aftermarket cheapo switch. I finally realized this after removing it and finding out there was no 100-ohm resistor in the switch. He gave me the original switch so I took it apart and low and behold there was the resistor. So from there, I began testing the voltage on that gray wire. I installed a new 100-ohm resistor inline with the gray wire and still have right at 12 volts going to the CDI box. I tested my resistor to make sure the resistance is good as well. Just for reference, I have confirmed that the rectifier, coils, pickup coil, stator, and CDI box are all good. I installed a new CDI. What is the next step I can take or is it going to be install a new ignition switch all together? I'd like to be able to fix this without doing that but if that's what it takes I will. If I left out any info please let me know as I would be happy to dive in.
Tylerscott86 is offline   Reply With Quote