View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2020, 06:41 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumazas View Post
Hello,
new here, I just bought 2006 ninja 250. And I`ve experienced some problems regarding cold starting. A brief history of the bike I bought it this weekend with 5 thousand miles and everything was fine while the engine was warm. But the next day it won't start.
I did change spark plugs but it didn't make a difference. I feel that there is a problem with a choke because bike only cranks with the choke on and without choke it starts but dies soon after, my dad said that bike seems to get flooded. But when the bike starts and gets hot it works fine.
thanks in advance
Have you tried setting the choke less than full? Typically after it sputters once you can back the choke off to get it started.

Once it starts set the choke to keep the RPMs about 2500 or so. After a minute you should be able to back it almost all the way down. It won't idle great, but it should stay running. Use only enough choke (enrichener) to keep it running until you take off.

Once hot, you shouldn't need any choke to restart.

EDIT: If it starts without choke, and choke makes it worse, chances are you are running too rich. That's not what I understood initially.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote