View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2023, 10:36 PM   #69
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

But.... there is only one way to learn ...it's not like you can take a course on repairing the Ninja 250 carbs or anything like that... you are forced to either take it back to the dealer or do it yourself and most people don't have the extra cash so they attempt to do it themselves...and rightly so the problem is they are very complicated and need special attention if they don't have good drawings or instructions to put them back together correctly then the internet is their best choice.... I've been into more carburetors than I can count... I've even destroyed a few and I admit that but I have saved thousands in the process, and I'll have to admit the ninja 250 carbs are one of the hardest I've ever been into.... the easiest is probably the triumph carbs . the Amil carbs are the simplest carb around but they were designed wrong you cannot take the pilot jet out... I wound up buying carbs for my triumph that had removable pilot jets and have not regretted it once.... it seems like todays gasoline has a bunch of "floatie goodies in it" that effect the pilot circuits on all bikes
how they get past fuel filters is unknown to me, but they do I guess the particles get past the filters and then expand in the float bowl if it sits a long time and is re started with old gas in the bowl so draining the bowls is a darn good idea , after sitting !!!! just to flush the old stuff out if nothing else
the gas now days is the main problem ...being attentive to it will save alot of work. Good inline filters is key now days...
it's true if you don't have any idea what your doing in a bikes carb you shouldn't be doing it !... but you have to learn somewhere , and I do not recommend taking it to a bike shop ...do it yourself and learn ! because half the mechanics working in bike shops have never worked on a bike like that before yet alone the carburetors ... your chances of them fixing the problem on a Ninja 250 is MININAL .....if it's not a Kawasaki dealer chances are
a Honda mechanic will not fix it right ! ....yes I am skeptical !
just because it's a motorcycle does not mean a motorcycle mechanic knows everything about it.... ....Myself I would not touch a 1200cc Ninja as I would only screw it up badly.... and there are dozens of bikes out there that fit into that same area.... I would be foolish to attempt to tune a V-Rod my knowledge on the ninja mainly comes from this forum and years of messing with bikes in general.... but bikes are becoming specialized, with specialized knowledge needed to work on them....it's not like it was in the 1970's any more....
it's also true most guys with a mechanical back ground can fumble their way through a motorcycle and keep it running and operating good....
however one scrap of knowledge that is unknown to him can be disastrous.
Bob.