View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2023, 08:06 AM   #76
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I have done both methods, but I like just doing both while it is running on 2
.... easier and less chance of frying a coil... I 2nd Jim's sujestion of not letting the plug lead dangle... put a plug in it and ground it or you'll fry the coil.
when I did mine last time I had no trouble hearing the change in RPM on either cylinder.... I went to the extra expense and bought a 90 deg. screw driver to make it easier.... but it only worked in an iffy fashion seems holding the one end up into the screw is needed and the other hand is needed to turn the handle.... so your hand needs to be in there on a warm/hot engine anyway.
the stubby screw drivers work just about as good to be honest... but you gott'a make them fit their too wide to go in the hole .
highest Idle and then a touch to the rich side and your in like flynn !
(easiest to hear the changes when the idle is below 1000RPM)
Immediately check throttle response and make sure it is as expected.... too lean will cause the idle to hang a bit, too rich will make it slower on acceleration like it misses a stroke and then picks it up....
if you get it right it will be instantaneous... grabbing the RPM as fast as you turn the throttle.... it really is surprising !!!!
glad to hear you solved the problem Well Done !
Bob...