adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
Now screw the filter back onto the bike, using a torque wrench to tighten it to just 12.9 ft-lbs (or 17.5 Nm)[/B]. Again, this is not very tight -- resist the urge to over-tighten the filter.
The only way you can use a torque wrench is if you happen to also use the cap-style filter "wrench" (actually a giant sheet-metal socket that fits over the end of the filter).

Simpler method: First, clean any oil off of your hands (duh). Then thread the filter on by hand until the gasket touches. Then tighten by hand an additional 1/2 - 3/4 turn or so. Or you can just go until your hand slips because, face it... you didn't clean the oil off your hands, did you?

If you want to be super-safe, do what track day organizations require... put a hose clamp on the filter after installation, oriented so that the clamp's worm screw will contact something on the bike if the filter starts to loosen. What this does is prevent the filter from coming loose. This works for most bikes. Some have no such nearby protrusion, and require the clamp to be safety wired.

On my bikes I have a clamp that's permanently attached to the bike via safety wire, so that when I change the filter all I have to do is loosen the clamp and slide it off (leave the wire long enough to allow this), then reverse the procedure after the new filter is in place.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote