View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2019, 05:00 PM   #1
FaceMower
ninjette.org newbie

Name: RK

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Replace Cylinder Head Cover?

TL;DR: Bought a 2013 Ninja 300 and found a puncture in the cylinder head cover. Looking for advice/instructions (Tools/Parts/Processes) on replacement of the cylinder head cover or any other options.

I am a new rider and I picked up a 2013 Ninja 300 with 4,900 for what I thought was a great deal. I took it out a couple times before I did an oil change with no problems. After I changed the oil I took it out a few more times and noticed a lot of oil covering the lower fairing on the right side. My first thought was that I under-tightened or over-tightened the oil filter but it was coming from higher up on the engine. After removing the fairings I noticed it was coming from the cylinder head cover. The previous owner had no-cut frame sliders installed and the brackets line up with the cylinder head covers. I was told it was dropped once and the only damage I noticed when purchasing it was a missing passenger peg and a few scratches. Turns out the frame slider bracket collided with and punctured the cylinder head cover. This puncture was the source of the oil leak.

I am considering replacing the cylinder head cover myself but have basically zero experience with motorcycle engines. I have some experience with basic car mechanics such as changing brake systems, suspensions, and cold air intakes. I have minimal experience assisting friends and relatives in engine and transmission work. Does anyone have experience in this process that could tell me how difficult of a task it is?

I have Kawasaki service manual for the bike but I feel like I might be missing some steps since I have never done work like this before. Does the service manual include everything I need to know? Do I need to drain the oil and siphon the gas before I remove the cylinder head? Do I need to remove the gas tank?

Cylinder Head Cover: Pages 236 - 237
Service Manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...age=236#manual

I would also like to know what I will all need to replace besides the cylinder head cover. I know I will need a new cylinder head cover gasket but will I need all new bolts and washers/O-rings? Will I need new plug hole gaskets/pins and a new "VALVE-ASSY-REED" under the "CAP"? I put a link below so you can see what I am talking about.
Exploded View: https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/o...der-head-cover

My last question was about tools. I believe I have everything I need to complete this replacement but I wanted to know if there was any special tools required? Will I need a compression gauge to check the engine after I install the new cylinder head cover?

I am open to any other suggestions on fixes even if they are temporary. I'll take any videos or links that may help me out. I also uploaded some pictures of the bike. Apologizes for the lengthy post, I wanted to make sure I had everything covered.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side.jpg (100.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190423_234043.jpg (157.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190423_234032.jpg (148.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190423_233931.jpg (158.6 KB, 8 views)
FaceMower is offline   Reply With Quote