View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2022, 09:34 PM   #21
Mauricemonge
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): bastardized ninja 250 (think land speed record with a sidecar) soon to swap a 500 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Let's see some photos of this sidecar!!!

Are you using airbox with EX500 carbs or pod-filtres? If you end up with intake-resonance issues and stumbling in mid-range, really helps to install 6" long intake-runners between carbs and pod-filtres.

Do you have gen-1 or gen-2 EX500 engine? Best to not rev either one over 10K.
I finally got an AFR gauge back on it. I pulled fuel from the idle, and my moderate stumble got even worse. I think whoever had the carb tinkered with ran the idle rich to compensate for it. My wide open throttle is a hair leaner than I want it to be, even with these 145 main jets (130 is apparently stock).

I ordered some tubes as you said. I might also run a 2-1 large pod filter like I did with the 250 (k&n RC-3510 is what I’m thinking). The similar one I had on the 250 did a good job of evening out airflow.

Aside from the lean stumble, this thing rips.

I did have an electrical issue, while cranking it struggled greatly, and seemed like it dropped voltage. I pulled the cover off and some of my magnets had self destructed, grounding out my stator. I have a freshly rebuilt 500 race engine that I swapped parts with.

I’ll take the sidecar to the drag strip when I get the tuning stuff worked out.
Mauricemonge is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.