View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #32
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Found this information in the DRZ400SM review concerning Japanese 450 Dual Sports - why they don't exist and probably never will
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/...d-ride-review/

"I love supermotards. I used to race dirt bikes, and supermotards are the closest thing to a stripped down, ultra-light motocross bike … with road worthy tires. I have often wondered why more Japanese manufacturers do not offer supermotards for sale here in the U.S., particularly in a displacement matching that of their top motocross machines (450 cc). I have even asked Japanese engineers when I have had the chance “Why not?”

The answer usually has something to do with the cost of developing a 450 cc single for street use with much greater durability and much longer service intervals than a motocrosser. I am sure it also has something to do with a market analysis (i.e., whether or not U.S. consumers would buy such a thing). So if you are holding your breath waiting for your favorite Japanese motocross 450 cc ripper to show up as a street legal supermoto, good luck."
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote