View Single Post
Old July 8th, 2018, 08:06 PM   #1
LumaNinja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja 250r

Some fun stuff found in oil screen

I'm a semi-new owner of a 2006 ninja 250r, and tried to change the oil today. This my first oil change on this bike (or any bike). I followed the instructions on this forum, and everything seemed good until I cleaned the oil screen- there were a few small, magnetic, metal shavings (like less than eight, all smaller than a pepper seed but obviously larger than the screen mesh). Also, some sort of gray rubber gasket or o-ring- hard to tell because it's torn up, but it seems like it originally had at least two "corners" on it.

I didn't want to leave the bike oil-less, so I put everything back together with new oil, filter, o-rings, washers etc. So:

Are these metal flakes something to worry about?
Where did this rubber thing come from?

Some bike facts:
-Didn't really come with any service history, seems to be totally stock, 7k miles
-I've had it for several months but didn't do any overwintering prep on it
-I've only ridden it a few times- it's my first bike and I didn't really get the hang of it before winter. Seemed fine at the time, no weird sounds (then again I wouldn't necessarily know what's weird)
-I did have to drill out the gas cap (super stuck), but I'm pretty sure no shavings got into the tank or anything.
-I didn't find anything in the oil filter (which I replaced), just the oil screen.

Here's what we're working with:
IMG_20180708_111220.jpg
Thanks for looking!
LumaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote