View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:03 PM   #33
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Dude don't be to offended buy this but by reading you OP you shouldn't even be on public roads yet. You obviously need some close off area practice or start riding the hell out of a bicycle to gain some confidence in a safer manner. Maybe the way you described your original running wide into the other lane scenario was over dramatic but it sounds like your the perfect example of the type of person that obliviously shouldn't be on a motorcycle on roads. The MSF often passes riders that obiviously don't have the needed skills or confidence to safely ride in public and just sends you off to figure it out on their own anyways.

Yes I can be an asshole, and my standards of the average riders needed ability to safely ride in the road are much higher then I see most riders display on a day to day basis. But since you've already gotten this far in please listen the this forums advise, they are here to help. Please try and find someone local, maybe on another area based forum who's willing to watch you ride and give a little feed back. Don't be shy, there's lots of random riders willing to help you out if you just ask.

Two great alternative methods to leaning the basic of operating a two wheel vehicle without actually riding a street bike on roads and risking yours and others safety are riding a bicycle and riding a dirt bike. A small 100cc dirt bike would be great but hard to come by if you don't already know someone you can borrow it from. A bicycle is easy to get and when I ask someone if they know who to ride a bicycle I don't mean just pedaling down you street and back. What I'm referring to is being able to take tight turns smoothly, swerve between multiple objects with minimal mid corner steering correction find some dirt and lock up the rear wheel to see how it feels to slide, basically all the stuff you learned in msf but on an easier machine to control. Once you've mastered something on an easy platform you can then reference the sensation and feedback you got from the activity and use that knowledge to help master the same maneuver to a more difficult machine.

Again not trying to be a deliberate asshole(well maybe a little ) I just don't sugar coat things and only have your safety in mind.

@CycleCam303 is the exact opposite of me when it come to opinion of new riders and is an MSF instructor so maybe he'll also give you some advise.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.