View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2020, 01:28 PM   #1
Dieseldog
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Hello from a new Ninja 250 owner

Hello all! I just purchased a 1999 Kawasaki Ninja 250 for what I thought was a good price (650). The PO said that he got it running after it being stored for a few years. He said it would idle fine but if you hit the throttle it would die. So I figured it would only take a tune up and a carb cleaning. First thing I did was clean the tank and petcock. That should have been the warning for what was to come. The petcock was frozen and couldn't be turned to either on or reserve. The strainers at the top of the petcock straws were rotted away and probably what clogged and froze up the petcock. So I repaired the petcock back to usable condition but I will probably be replacing it. So on to the carburetors. I removed the carbs with no issues but when I removed the intake boots I noticed that one was installed backwards. I started disassembly of the carbs and inside the diaphragm housing there were some sort of leaves under the diaphragm. The inside of the bowl was trashed! I've cleaned some really dirty carbs before but this one takes the cake! The floats were frozen to the hinge pin, the float needles were stuck in place, fuel adjustment screw o-rings were missing and the collar that belongs under the emulsion tube was installed from the top. When I changed the oil I didn't know what to think when I saw 2 stroke oil drain from the pan!! Then when I removed the oil filter I noticed that the spring and washer was missing. The bike has 25,000 miles and will need tires, carb rebuild kits, oil filter spring and washer, and other odds and ends. My question is- will it be worth it to get this bike back to a safe and well running condition? What other things should be addressed to prolong the life of the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-06-16-15-16-52-943.jpg (42.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200612_193440.jpg (102.6 KB, 8 views)

Last futzed with by Dieseldog; June 19th, 2020 at 01:30 PM. Reason: To add a picture of the carburetor
Dieseldog is offline   Reply With Quote