View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #44
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Most of the bigger bike shops here will be charging between $2-300 for an oil seal replacement. DEFINITELY worth DIY.

It depends on how much rust there and if there's any pitting. Get a picture up. Try steel wool first though. If it's just surface rust with NO pitting, you should be good to go.

If you want to stiffen up your front, I'm not completely sure about newer bikes, but you can try going up a weight in oil (I believe 5w is stock? So go 10w).

Regarding any tips or tricks, the allen bolt at the bottom of the fork tube CAN be a pain to get out, so be wary. Other than that, replace the circlips (the ones that hold the oil seals in place) even if they look good. They're super cheap, and better safe than sorry. If you have access to an oil seal bullet, definitely use that, but don't go out and buy one. The PVC pipe and old seal will do the trick.

You can get replacement everything from either of the kawi dealers, or any of the places that can order from partsunlimited/partsnmore. You're military right? I think cycle city has the discount, but I'm positive south seas has it.