View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #121
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post
Just got done not too long ago. Total time apx 4 hrs. disassembly and reassembly honestly took WAY longer than the actual changing of the seals. I've been posting and updating for a while but it seems like im just talking to myself. oh well. some day someone will actually read this and may be able to pick up a tip or two.

about getting that allen bolt loose on the bottom of the forks...I figured out a way to get it loose without putting it in a vise..mainly because i dont have one. i haven't found this method while searching so i'll type it out and try to describe because i did not have a second set of hands to take pictures.

This step is done before removing the forks from the tripple tree. Once you have the front tire off, put the allen wrench into one of the bolts. Now slide the axle bolt back on from the other fork to the one you are working on. push bolt until it touches the allen wrench. This keeps the fork from rotating when breaking the bolt loose. Now get something that can give you leverage, if you dont already have, then just break the bolt loose. Dont screw it out or even couple turns. oil will def. leak out. now repeat for the other side and continue with removing the forks etc.. heres a pic for the visual people:

EDIT: the 10w oil does stiffen up the front just a touch. will decide later if i still will do the preload adjuster DIY or not.
What exactly is this bottom bolt for? Did you completely drain the forks from the bottom when you loosened it? I'm getting ready to change my seals tomorrow. Thanks!
Robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote