View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #135
slowninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Duey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
You need fork oil. I have a pregen and I used 15W. I don't think the forks are that different. Just be observant about the disassembly order so you can put things back in the right order.

You'll also need some fine grit sandpaper (400 or higher) and steel wool for removing any rust. If there are any pits or scores, you need JB-weld (4 min kind) to fill them and sandpaper to smooth it.

The pregen needs 1.25" internal circlips. I don't know if the newgen needs the same or not, or if so, what size. And yes, you need the circlip pliers.

If its set up the same as the pregen, you will need a small wheel puller to push the cap down while you fish out the old retaining ring. This is done while the tubes are still in the forks.

The pregen needs a long allen wrench to remove the retaining bolt at the bottom of the fork. I'm not sure if the newgen has that or not. If so, it was a pain finding something long enough to reach. I think I ended up using the long part of a regular allen wrench with a pair of vice grips to turn it.

Also, you don't want to use thread locker on that bolt or you'll never get it out again.

EDIT: One more thing was a 12cc syringe and a 12 Gauge needle. I used that to keep the oil height consistent. I poured in a little more than the approximate amount and then used the syringe (hung over the edge of the tube) and then used the syringe to remove the excess. Whatever method you use, I think its more important to keep them even than at a particular level.
Thanks a lot for the tips. This is kind of a big project for me. I'll approach it carefully. I'm going to film it so if I forget something I can go back and look at it. I'll keep you posted and thanks again for taking the time to help out a newbie! I really appreciate it.
slowninja is offline   Reply With Quote