View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #141
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
That little metal piece that attaches the radiator?? no don't put weight on that.
Little but not weak. Its chromoly steel. It will support the front of the bike no problem. But if it worries you, you can temporarily replace it with a small piece of angle iron and use that. Its held by the front engine mounts so its plenty strong. Use a long enough piece of angle iron and you can support that between two jack stands. That should be stable enough.

Some people (I think the OP is one of them if I recall) support the bike from overhead as well. One time I used a large stepladder over the bike with ratcheting straps holding the triple tree. It wouldn't hurt to do that too just as an added safety measure.

BTW, unless you have a specific reason to do so, don't remove the triple tree. Its not necessary. The reason I say that is because there are DIY's out there that say to do that and its a lot of extra work for nothing.

EDIT: I'm talking about the pregen regarding the metal brace. I'm not sure if the newgen even has one or not.

EDIT2: I checked the diagrams over at ron ayers and I couldn't find that cross piece on the newgen diagrams. Anyhow, you could still put a piece of angle iron across the lower front engine mounts and use that.