View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2023, 05:20 PM   #4
Shafer
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja ex250 blue and 07 Ninja black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACL 9000 View Post
I tried to post this the other day and I can’t find it now, so I hope I’m not just being stupid and annoying.

Anyway, years ago I was told by a dealership mechanic that the kickstand on my ‘05 was broken. He said a boss was missing and I needed it welded. For years I’ve just been using the center stand.

I have looked at the drawings and I can’t find any missing parts, so I presume something is actually broken like the guy said. I can’t really tell what’s wrong, though. It’s affixed with one bolt that also secures the lower fairing stay, and when I rest the bike on it, it will rotate forward and up. There’s a hole ahead of that one, but the drawings don’t show what it’s for and I don’t think there are any threads in there.

What should be preventing the thing from flopping around the way it does?

Also: An idiot I let ride the bike crashed it and broke a blinker, so I bought the only massively-overpriced pair I could find. They got here and one is cracked. I figure these must still be usable if I can brace that up.

Does anyone know what kind of plastic that is? If it’s the kind of plastic that you can basically weld back together with a little bit of the right solvent I’d be very happy. Otherwise, what do you think is the best way to go?

When I had the factory blinkers I had good results with first using a plastic welder to set some metal across the cracks. Snip the ends off the metal staple. Then back fill with jb weld. You can sand and paint after.

Without the metal staples I found the jb weld would crack.

Something like this for a welder:
Wrdlosy Plastic Welder, 600PCS Staples, Plastic Welding Kit, Must Have For DIYers, Instant On/Off, Plastic Welder Kit, Bumper Repair Kit Plastic Repair Kit, Portable Toolbox, Hot Stapler https://a.co/d/7PPkK6x

Plastic welder works great for fairing cracks, just use lite slow pressure or you will quickly push the staple through the painted side.
Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote