View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:10 AM   #7
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
The racetech calculator isn't the bible and has also been known to be a little off for light riders :rolleyes:
Yeah, people have said that it might be better to go a step softer than their recommendation on the EX500, and I figured that the ends of the range is probably where there would be the most discrepancy in the numbers. I don't have firsthand experience with the EX250's suspension (other than having a NewGen shock on my EX500), so I was just going with what the calculator said as a baseline. If my assumption that it's at least fairly close is wrong, then everything I've said might not be applicable.

Even if it's a bit off, my basic points still stand, that the EX500 springs are quite soft, and for medium-weight riders the stock springs could be pretty far from optimal and even quite mismatched between front and rear (not just on the 250, but several Kawasaki bikes).

With my limited knowledge, I'd say that the info at http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/EX500_springs_option applies more to the PreGen than the NewGen. Once again falling back to RT's calc since that's all I've got, it shows the EX500's fork springs to be about right for a 100lb rider on a PreGen, while it shows 10% stiffer for the same weight on a NewGen. Unless you happen to be almost exactly 100lb, I would consider it a better deal to buy the correct rate springs from Sonic for $80 compared to paying $66 for the EX500 springs. If you have some EX500 springs sitting around and would just need to make some new spacers, it'll still be at least a slight improvement so you might as well try it. But for most people, I think it'll still be too soft, and buying them new isn't much cheaper than just buying the proper springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedabike64 View Post
Bill I seat of the pants was telling me just what you said I weigh about 150, I sat on a gentleman's ninja 300 at the track, and it seemed to feel pretty much the same way, not that that stopped in from buzzing around there like heck.
but I do have springs from the 500 laying around seeing as it might be the lesser of two evils,
I suppose I could make some pre load spacers about the difference
between the 500 & 250 Springs. (in length)

most recently with the stock springs I made half inch spacers on it, I seem to get more feel out of the front end which is probably all in my head.
like you said you don't have to put too much effort into it it might be worth more or less of an experiment in anything else.
just that I would need a ballpark for the preload spacers to start with.
and thank you for clarifying that that really makes much sense to me.

http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php...ension_Preload has lots of good background info and math on setting the preload/sag. The big thing to keep in mind is that the setting controls where in the travel range the suspension operates. If your spring is the wrong rate, it will always be the wrong rate, regardless of how much preload you put on it.

I'm just throwing this out there as someone who got the correct rate springs (RaceTechs up front, NewGen shock in the rear) for his fat butt, and now realizes just how crappy the stock EX500 suspension was compared to even just putting the proper springs in. I've since added Intiminators and have a used Penske waiting to be installed, but just getting the correct springs made a night and day difference. I just want to help others get the optimal suspension as well. While there's always a price compromise (or everyone would have an Ohlins), I don't think it's worth saving $14 to get something that you know isn't right.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote