View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #12
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I may have interpreted that with a bit more "You're wrong!!!!111" than you meant. I'm really not trying to argue with anyone.

I just see so many people who have no clue about the math behind suspension buying whatever someone else said worked, without understanding why they're doing it (it's the same way with rear shock options on EX-500.com). While the EX500 springs may be a good option for some, I have personal experience with them and know they're probably still too soft for a lot of people (maybe the average rider here is also lighter than what I'm used to over on the 500 board). I just don't want someone to assume that the EX500 springs are a universal fix and cheap too. In reality, they're not that much cheaper when bought new, and it seems like they may not be a great match for a lot of people. I defer to others with personal experience on ideal spring rates, as I only have the calculator to go on (my buddy won't let me take his girlfriend's '09 apart just to play with it).

As we both said, compare the cost and how close a match it is. It'll be a different call for each person.

I'm a bigger guy so it's more evident, but it really was amazing how much different the stiffer springs made my bike. Doing anything to move closer to the ideal rate will help, but I'd hate to see someone settle for "meh" instead of "amazing" over the cost of a single tank of gas.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote