View Single Post
Old October 1st, 2017, 08:33 AM   #2
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Disclaimer: The bike in question is not a ninjette but that doesn't matter.....

My track bike is coming up on 12 years old. The windscreen is solid but pretty badly scratched up so I'm thinking of getting a new one, hopefully of sufficient optical quality that I can think about running my camera behind it. Given the age it's safe to say than any used part off of eBay won't be in any better shape.

Aftermarket replacement options look to be Puig, Zero Gravity, Hotbodies, and a lot of Chinese eBay stuff. Pricing for the name brands is roughly 4 to 5 times that of the Chinese stuff.

I note that some options are ABS, others acrylic. Would like any informed input on the difference in optical quality and durability.

So... experience? Opinions?

Generally I avoid Chinese crap off of eBay but this is a non-critical part and the price differential is so large that it begs the question of value.

TIA....
I would expect the acrylic to be more susceptible to cracking than the ABS. I recently bought some plastic polish that works very well. It's made by Novus and comes in three bottles; #1 Plastic Clean and Shine, #2 Fine Scratch Remover, #3 Heavy Scratch Remover. You can find the complete kit on eBay.

Bill