View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #21
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Somebody asked me a similar question on another forum, so here's a slightly edited "cut and paste" of my answer:

To start off with you'll need Euro-Ebay and a friend who lives in Europe......

I think you could pull off a full-system fuel injection conversion (from a wrecked 2008+ Euro bike to your 2008+ U.S. bike) pretty easily. It could be as simple as "plug and play."

People are wrecking and parting-out Euro-spec EX-250s all the time over there so the odds of getting your hands on the FI parts are pretty good.

You'll need to do some research to figure out everything you'll need from the "donor" bike to complete the project, but I'd say it'll include the throttle body (with injectors), probably the airbox, the CDI box, maybe the rotor, and the whole wiring harness (or the skill to wire it yourself and believe me there's a lot of wiring in an FI bike). I'm not sure whether the Euro fuel tank will fit on the American bike (I'd be willing to bet it will fit), but if it won't that'll complicate your conversion because it contains the fuel pump. And I have no idea if the Euro bike uses an O2 sensor for feedback, so you'll have to research that too.

Compared to my 2005 EX-250 FI project your conversion should be a breeze (I basically had to engineer the whole thing from scratch with a Bowling & Grippo MicroSquirt EFI controller as the ECU and parts from Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Nissan, Motorola, General Motors, Bosch, K&N, Area-P, etc).

The only drawback to working with a European or British "bike breaker" is that none of them (at least I couldn't find one) will ship to a U.S. address so you need a friend in the U.K. or Europe to accept the original shipment from the supplier (this is what I had to do to get my hands on the Euro-model throttle body and injectors when I was setting up my 2005 conversion).

Good luck.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote