View Single Post
Old December 21st, 2011, 12:03 PM   #17
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
I wondered if it isn't something just like you've described. As you say, low RPMs probably equals low current in the Tach signal, or not enough Tach signal pulses coming rapidly enough to wake up the guage. And yes, it does seem to happen more in cold weather.

I've actually got a spare EX-250 instrument panel on hand so I might take it apart to see if there's anything I could do to fix the situation or just learn about how it's put together.

There is a little electronic circuit in there that converts the ignition pulses to an analog current for the meter. I've seen some bikes that make the analog meter redline for a split second on powerup. I'm wondering if its to avoid the situation like you describe.

But if you have a spare meter, maybe swap it out if you have time and see if it works better.

This morning I went out and it gave me a fit trying to get it started cold. Cold here = 70F. I was thinking about your FI bike the whole time. Hopefully when I get the EFI kit it will solve more problems than it creates.