View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM   #139
austinm911
ninjette.org member

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by badiguana View Post
The difference is in how the sidewalk works. A bias ply has almost no flex. You just roll onto the sidewalk. A radial will allow some sidewalk compliance with the result that the tread rubber can conform better to the road surface, effectively putting more rubber on the road with less tread squirm.

That being said, I tried a set of Michelin pilots using a 150 rear and it was a bad choice. The 150 sidewalk rolled up so far that the sidewalk shape was too vertical and it just did not work. I went back to bias ply but bought the newest Michelin (can't remember the name). These tires work as well as a sport touring radial and I would buy them again.

Looking at the Pirelli mounted on the bike, it looks like a good fit. It seems to be a "skinny" 140 that just might work on that little 3.5 inch rim, so I'm anxious to see what the guys who have mounted them have to say.

Just a word on the OEM tire: get rid of them. The same day you finish the break-in miles on the bike, if you can afford to. Those things are bad.
I had some Pilot Road 2s installed 110/70 and 150/70 so we shall see how that works
austinm911 is offline   Reply With Quote