View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:21 AM   #5
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Great post, thanks! I'd add that hearing protection should be considered a mandatory gear item. There is an outstanding thread in this section of the forums entitled "Do You Wear Ear Protection" that goes through all the reasons that need not be repeated here.

And while I too love Motoport gear, it is not the only way to get safe cordura, mesh or kevlar gear. Great that you are loyal, but there are many other manufacturers who make outstanding gear that will protect a rider in the event of a crash. Aerostich has a great, proven track record protecting riders in crashes. Teiz Motosports puts out fantastic quality gear, including a mesh one-piece with 1680D protection in the key bits and dynex mesh. Dianese and REV'IT put out amazing quality stuff, including gear with woven ceramic that protects better than leather. All put out stuff, including high end mesh products, that will protect you well in a getoff. As to whether they would do as well as Motoport gear, I'm not saying - just that there are many good options. And many good options that are more economical than Motoport, which is some of the most expensive gear around.

Again, I happen to think Motoport is great stuff. But it is worth noting there is a devoted anti-Motoport group out there that offers some balance to those who love Motoport. There are complaints about Wayne (the owner) and his customer service - problems with fitment, overcharging for options that didn't deliver, etc. There are also repeated complaints that Motoport oversells its product and what it can deliver. Among claims I've seen is that Motoport is cooler than any other suit - not true (though I do think it offers the best blend of cooling and protection); that it dries in minutes after a rainfall - simply not true, though it does fine; that you'll be more comfortable in Motoport at 100 degrees than if you just wear a tshirt and shorts - not true (and ridiculous, it vents well, but it still is adding a layer and does not have magical properties); and importantly that Motoport air mesh has better abrasion resistance than leather - not true by independent testing. You have to be careful of swallowing what Motoport is saying or trusting its marketing or testing completely -- they oversell their stuff when they don't really need to, and that makes me wonder about them a bit. Here are the results of the independent test:

Tear and Abrasion Strength by the numbers:Pounds of force until fabric tears Abrasion cycles on pavement until fabric fails

CottonJeans 4.5 pounds to tear 50 cycles to failure
70 Denier Standard Nylon 4.5 pounds to tear 165 cycles to failure
500 Denier Polyester 8 pounds to tear 180 cycles to failure
200 Denier Standard Nylon 7.5 pounds to tear 275 cycles to failure
500 Denier Cordura 22 pounds to tear 710 cycles to failure
620 Denier Cordura 35 pounds to tear 1200 cycles to failure
Motorcycle Leather 80-110 pounds to tear 1200-1700 cycles to failure
1000 Denier Cordura 110 pounds to tear 1780 cycles to failure
Air Mesh Kevlar 1260 pounds to tear 970 cycles to failure *** EDIT: Notice that airmesh is less abrasion resistant than stretch or leather, this comes as a big surprise to many that believe that air mesh is superior ***
Stretch Kevlar Blend 420lbs pounds to tear 1800 cycles to failure
Leather, Competition Weight, (no tear weight available) 3 oz./sq. ft. 2600 cycles to failure

Not saying I buy into the anti-Motoport crowd, and actually do think that Motoport is among the best, if not the best, protective gear out there. Just noting that there are some chinks in the armor, as it were, and suggesting that members keep an open mind about other options. It may be worth reading this thread ADV Rider Motoport thread for balance, as it contains both devotees and anti-motorport opinions.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote