View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:46 AM   #8
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Limited Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
Wow great post! Every person whos new to riding should read this! Although I'm not too sure how much I agree (and I know I'll hear responses to this but its just my opinion) about the jean kevlar pants not holding up. I've seen some videos on youtube where people were glad they had these on. :-\ IMO its better then regular jeans. But, people should consider better pants. Great post! Well informative.
They were lucky and most likely hit at low speeds with only a sliding component to the crash, I.E. A low side at 35 mph. A tumbling impact at highway speeds, you are likely in for some serious pain. I know of many failures and they were all tear failures. If the inner liner was a kevlar blended material that covered the whole thing... I'd change my mind, but that would be spendy and lets be honest, they are built for cost. Unfortunately, they are marketed as protective gear and they really aren't. Denim simply isn't strong enough to resist high G impact stresses, you can't change material science. Are jeans better than the shorts often seen being sported by squiddus sportcyclus? Yes. Are Kevlar jeans better than regular jeans? Yup. Better than mesh? Nope. Look into cordura pants if you want to wear pants and not look like an 80's rock star at work. An oversuit is another good option.

Last futzed with by Moldbuster; June 1st, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
Moldbuster is offline   Reply With Quote