View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #22
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meintool View Post
OK guys i havent seen this mentioned, what about carhartt work pants?? or even some dickies? i think they'd be better than jeans no?
One of the major motorcycle magazines (Cycle World, I think) did a test back in the mid-90s. This was only to test the abrasion resistance of common materials.

They took a ~20 lb bag of chalk powder (like you can get to make the lines at a baseball field), put it in an egg crate with the test material covering it (tied or stitched on to secure it. They used a colored chalk (red, I think) and colored the outside of the test material.

Then they attached it to the back of a pickup on a pivot so they could gently lower it onto the pavement from the back of the truck while it was moving.

The point where the contact started was red, from the chalk on the outside. Then, when it wore through the material, the white chalk on the inside would show.

The results were surprising (to me, at least). Basic denim jeans lasted about....2-3 feet. The 'heavy duty' jeans last a couple of feet more. The textile last somewhere around 20-25 feet, I think. But nothing came close to the leather.

Now, realize that impact would change this, and some materials have really improved since then, but I wouldn't count on even heavy duty jeans doing any good. Plus they have zero padding, so won't do anything for impact. Even if you don't get roadrash, a shattered kneecap sucks.

If you want to wear jeans, I would highly (HIGHLY) recommend at least getting some comfortable underarmor like http://www.bohnarmor.com/
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote