View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Edhead
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I'd completely drain the tank and floatbowls before ripping things apart. Any water in the floatbowls signals a problem. Figure out why the water got in there. Is it condensation or is the filler cap leaking?

The air filter should be cleaned and lightly oiled. Just enough so you can feel it, but not enough to be wet.
I think this ended up being the issue. I figured that a little bit of water would be ok but at least 0.5 oz came out of the carb float bowls when I drained them a few days ago. Per your suggestion I drained the entire tank, and then emptied out the float bowls again. Put some new gas in there stuck her on prime and she fired right up. WOOOOOOO And then she died again. So I checked the spark plugs again and I had gapped one way larger than the other one. Fixed that and she's good as new now. Rechecked the air filter too and I might have been doing the motorcycle equivalent of "Web-MDing" It was oiled lightly but not too much. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Welcome to the board, Ed!

To get an idea whether the problem is fuel or ignition, you can take the spark plugs out and lay them on the top of the engine so their bodies are grounded, and then crank to see if they spark. It's not likely that a problem related to the oil you see would suddenly make both cylinders stop firing.
After I emptied the fuel and replaced it, I checked the spark again cause it was sounding like it wanted to fire but wasn't. I used your method to check spark. I had spark to both but somehow had one gapped too big. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
As a test, turn the petcock to PRI position and see if it'll start.
Did this when I put the new gas in and it worked. Switched it over to ON after I had it running and it continued to work. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltj View Post
Depending on the mileage and the fact that your filter is wet and fouled plugs...have you considered a blown head gasket? Pull the plugs and turn engine over....if any mist or fluid comes out of either spark plug hole, then you will know.
Hopefully not.
When I did the spark test again I didn't see anything of the sort, so that's good news. I had a few beers while I was trying to figure out what was going and may have over-exaggerated how wet the filter was, I looked at it again today and it was okay. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
the next thing i would check is the jets on the carbs and make sure there clean and not clogged for some reason.
Thankfully it didn't come to this. Appreciate the info.

Thanks all!
Edhead is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.