Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:39 PM   #31
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
TC:

Sucks that this happened and I hope you heal well, both physically and mentally. It's a big shock and that can do a number on you in all sorts of ways.
Amen to that, brother. I've been avoiding this thread because it can be mentally difficult to keep re-visiting in my head. A medical professional asked me at one point "are you experiencing any flashbacks or memories of the crash?" -- and up until that point, I had not realized it. It's weird, so weird.
All of a sudden I'm sitting there feeling nice and mellow and I close my eyes and it's like a movie starts. The sensation of the steering snapping from lock to lock and the way it made the rear suspension chatter.. the impact, and then all of a sudden I'm going over the bars and everything is spinning and I see blue sky and then BAM and I feel the sickening crunch of my knee and hip dislocating and then a second later SCHFFFFFFFFF the sound of the bike sliding next to me. So ****in weird. It's been a whole month.

When you feel up to it (and not before), would you be willing to give us your view on gear, knowing what you know now?

My view on gear has changed. Buy gear that is comfortable and that you will wear. I have a full set of leathers and stuff for the track, but honestly I don't put that stuff on if I'm running down to the store or post office a few miles away. Reason being, it's not comfortable and too much work to get into/out of. My every day work boots saved me from more serious harm, along with my normal garb of jeans/work shirt etc. However I still wonder.. If I had my kevlar jeans or leathers on -- would that have actually prevented my shin-flesh from peeling down to my ankle? I don't think it would have. My normal work jeans were not torn, yet everything on the front of my leg was pulled down to the ankle like a sock was being removed.

If my jeans weren't torn, yet my leg suffered such great harm -- I'm not sure that a thicker fabric material between my shin and the obstruction would have prevented the harm. Obviously more padding would have prevented the trauma to my hip/knee/ankle.

Another consideration is other vehicles. If the oncoming car did not stop, I would have been splattered on the front bumper of a large vehicle moving in the opposite direction. I'm not sure that any form of gear would have prevented the serious harm that would have resulted, had that happened instead.

Once you're back up and assuming you're still interested in riding, will you do anything differently?

I'm not thinking that far in the future yet. Obviously I'm going to continue riding, as the activity is my primary source of pleasure and enjoyment in life.
I don't want to think too far ahead. For example... how the ufck am I gonna kickstart my bikes with manual starer? If I can barely walk, and it's been a month -- how much longer until I can deliver a healthy kick to get a bike fired up? Honestly I'm trying not to think that far ahead.

You said you were wearing "typical work attire" which could mean anything from Carhartts to riding jeans to plain denim to khakis. Also that had you been wearing your riding boots, your leg would be fine... but what about the rest of your kit?

Boots aside, would you change anything about the way you gear up for the ride?

The classic commuter's dilemma is whether to dress for the ride and put up with inconvenience at work (need to change) or dress for work and increase risk of injury. Some feel it's not worth riding to work because of this. Some just live with the risk. Some gear up and find ways to manage the inconvenience.
I think I already answered your question but if not -- rephrase and re-ask and I'll do my best. Typical work attire was relatively heavy denim jeans, "hiking" boots with ankle support, and a button-down collared polyester shirt. Was also wearing gloves and helmet (as always).