View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #7
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Well done for avoiding it.

It kinda looks like you're just left of the centre of your road-lane. If that's where you are, that's what I do. Just left of centre means your wheels are rolling over the part of the road where car wheels drive. This means the road surface is more likely to be clear of debris. Being just left of center also means you are further from the hedge so if a critter does jump out, it has a further distance to travel before it intersects with your path of travel. You also have greater visibility of the hedge from that left of centre position.

(I actually ride right of centre over here, but that's equivalent to your left of center because we drive on the left side of the road)

Also: I'm with Triple Jim. I don't quite get my rear wheel off the ground, but my braking during an emergency stop is all about the front wheel (assuming a smooth, dry and clean road like you had). I partly focus on just the front wheel, because of my own limitations. I feel like I can properly focus on my front wheel braking and do a good job of maximizing the braking force with it, without losing traction. If I have to split my focus to what I'm doing with the rear brake as well, then I don't feel like I can do a good job with either.

LOL @ Chris for hitting a cow. I hope you and the cow were ok though.