Thread: fear of riding?
View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2016, 08:15 PM   #37
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Name: wendyjboss

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CBR 500RF (On its way), 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

As a newer rider, I remember well the hesitation about commuting. You are right to be respectful of it. Commuter traffic moves faster and more erratically than weekend traffic. If it's possible, take the MSF course before you start to commute. One month seems like a lot, but it will fly by so quickly.
I bought a book, Proficient Motorcycling which I find super helpful in becoming a more proficient and confident rider. It will cover much of what is in the MSF course, so buy a copy now. It does not supersede the MSF course, but it is invaluable. All motorcyclists should own a copy. Seriously.
If it's possible, you could get a taste of commuter time traffic by riding your moto immediately after getting home and venturing forth nearby where there is still some traffic. That way you will have the option of turning back if it freaks you out too much. That is what I did. It really helped me to understand my skill level and emphasized how much more experience I needed.
Your mom will probably always try to talk you out of riding. My mother does, but with the knowledge I have from MSF, I can talk to her about statistics. More motorcyclists who haven't taken the course and who are new riders tend to have accidents than those who have taken MSF for example. I know I'll never convince her, but being able to recite the stats and how I am always ATGATT and did take the course, have helped to keep those conversations to a minimum. In the end, be prepared to ride without anyone's approval but other riders and the admiring looks of other people when they see you arrive in your gear and on your moto. It really is something special that many dream of, but fewer actually accomplish.
Be safe. You're still young and have so many years of riding to come.
wendyjboss is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.