View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2018, 04:23 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Yes, good start and you've got a good mindset regarding safety. I second Chris's recommendation of used gear. Craigslist and regional/local riding group forums for stuff nearby. We've got a gear for sale section here too (it's where I bought my current jacket). Also poke around on Facebook for used motorcycle groups (TDJ Yard Sale for race-oriented gear, etc.) and the Marketplace. The WERA BBS also has a used gear section.

Cheap gear can be okay (my street boots are Bilts), but think of it this way: A cheap jacket/pants/pair of gloves/whatever may be a one-use item. Seams might blow apart, whatever. A higher-end piece of gear might still be usable, or more repairable. What's cheaper overall? An item you have to replace or one you can keep using? It's a balance of cost and value.

Name brand alone does not make gear good. The cheapest A*-branded gear might not be a lot (or any) better than the Bilt-branded stuff at Cycle Gear. You have to move up the line to get better quality. At Cycle Gear, that means go Sedici instead of Bilt.

We all have those times in life when money is tight and every dollar matters. I'm no exception. But try to take the long view and look at gear as an investment. You've already put money into gear you know you're going to replace. That makes the total cost of your safety equipment just that much more than it would have been if you'd just bought the right gear in the first place.

Thing is, it's a learning process. Looking at it from the tail end it's easy to say "just buy good gear in the first place" but when you're starting out you don't know what will be right for you or what "good gear" really is. Your decision to buy shoes instead of boots is a perfect example. It's just the cost of doing business.

Stick with it. When you find the right stuff, you'll know it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote